HIPAA Compliance for Dentists
HIPAA compliance isn’t optional, it’s the law. Proveer can help.
On September 23, 2013, new HIPAA requirements took effect and fines for HIPAA violations increased from an annual maximum of $25,000 to $1.5 million per violation. Does your practice comply?
- Are all emails with patient information sent in an encrypted format?
- Do you have a Business Associate Agreement meeting the Sept 23, 2013 requirements with all vendors whom have access to patient information, like your shredding service, IT vendor, janitor, electronic billing service, and your text reminder service?
- Are rights to access and alter patient information by your staff members controlled, monitored, and spelled out in job descriptions?
- Are written sanctions in place for staff members that violate the policy?
- Do you have a written password policy in place?
- Do you have a written plan to protect and access patient information in a disaster like a fire or flood?
- Are there physical safeguards in place at your practice to prevent unauthorized access and theft of patient information?
- Is your staff trained on HIPAA?
If there is a breach of unsecured information of at least 500 patients, your practice is now required to notify the affected patients, the department of health and human services, and the local media. Remember that backup drive your office manager carries in her purse? Hope her purse is not stolen or you will have an extremely unpleasant situation on your hands. Similar story if anyone at the practice uses a laptop, camera, or other device with patient information.
Fortunately, by storing electronic patient information in a secured format you dramatically reduce your risk of an unsecured breach. Proveer can help.
How does Proveer help?
HIPAA compliance at the level of a hospital is economically unfeasible for a small dental practice. So Proveer takes a balanced approach. Proveer provides a customized review at your practice of approximately 75 HIPAA compliance recommendations of the ADA. Proveer then works with you and your staff to implement the compliance measures you decide make the most sense at your practice based on your risk tolerance and budget.
Contact Proveer to get started today!